Partners and Policy
• Northeastern Indiana Regional Coordinating Council - FORT WAYNE (NIRCC) Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)
• Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission - NORTHWEST MPO (NIRPC)
• Michiana Area Council of Governments - SOUTH BEND/ELKHART MPO (MACOG)
• Indiana Passenger Rail Alliance (IPRA) Advocacy Group
• State of Indiana Amtrak Fact Sheet
• Indiana Department of Transportation Rail Office
• Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (Columbus Ohio MPO)
• All Aboard Ohio Advocacy Group State of Ohio Amtrak Fact Sheet
Federal Railroad Administration
• Volpe National Transportation Systems Center
• National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP)
• Midwest Interstate Passenger Rail Commission (MIPRC)
Steel Dynamics has its Structural and Rail Division located in Columbia City, Indiana. A proprietary, in-house developed rail head hardening process allows SDI’s mini-mill operation to be the preeminent provider of quality rail in North America, serving the Class 1 railroad customers. Integral to our commitment to our customers, our facility provides a ‘one-stop-shop’ for our rail customers. SDI has had a seat on the NIPRA Board and provided financial support for operations for over five years. Their continued commitment to restoring passenger service is a vital asset to the NIPRA community.
OrthoWorx is a non-profit formed in 2009 to preserve and extend our region’s legacy as the Orthopedic Capital.® Based in Warsaw, Indiana, we work with orthopedic industry members, academic partners and community leaders to capitalize on the resources and expertise across our region and in our industry to achieve common goals. Orthoworx has had an interest in passenger rail for many years, commissioning an economic impact study in 2010 of passenger rail from Chicago to Warsaw in 2010. When contacted by NIPRA a few years later they financially contributed to the next step, an Environmental Assessment, a federal process required to return passenger rail to Warsaw and Fort Wayne.
Do It Best
Do it Best Corp. is a member-owned cooperative of thousands of hardware stores, home centers, and lumberyards in the United States and in 52 countries around the world. Do it Best Corp. is headquartered in Fort Wayne, IN. They see the economic benefit of passenger rail to the Fort Wayne community and financially committed to the Environment Assessment.
Federal Policy:The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) actively supports the development of the nation's intercity passenger rail system. FRA informs and implements Administration policy regarding the nation's intercity passenger rail systems and sponsors passenger rail improvements and services. Formed in 1967, FRA conducted studies and demonstrations, provided oversight and administered federal grants to the nation’s intercity passenger rail system under the High-Speed Ground Transportation Act of 1965 and the Rail Passenger Service Act of 1970, which relieved private rail carriers of their obligation to provide passenger rail service. The (PRIIA), which created new railroad investment programs and reauthorized Amtrak for five years, affirms federal involvement in developing the nation’s intercity passenger rail system. FRA's passenger rail activities include:
· Administering federal grants and loans;
· Supporting the Secretary of Transportation in his capacity as a member of Amtrak's board of directors;
· Providing guidance and analysis of intercity passenger rail services and high-speed rail (HSR);
The FRA’s provides financial assistance, quantitative analysis, environmental research, project reviews, research and development, technical assistance, and supports development of intercity passenger rail policy. In addition, the Office studies potential high-speed rail corridors across the country, assesses Amtrak’s operations and performance levels, provides technical assistance for high-speed rail planning, and conducts environmental reviews of high-speed rail projects.
As projects for new or improved passenger rail service advance through the planning stages, technical expertise and guidance is provided for systems, rail line, station, and rolling stock design and also for environmental documentation. In addition, the Office implements the (ADA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as they relate to movement of passengers by rail in the United States.